Marshall, Malory, Addison, Eden & Ty

Marshall, Malory, Addison, Eden & Ty

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Peaches & pears

I need to toot my own horn for a minute. This week I canned 29 quarts of peaches  and 25 quarts of pears.  This is the first time I have canned anything by my self. It took a lot of time but it will be well worth it this winter when we can eat yummy fruit.  
Canning is something my mom did a lot of when I was a kid.  We always had a huge garden and she would can green beans, tomatoes, carrots, peaches, pears, salsa, jams, etc.  I love that's she taught me by example the importance of having a food storage and taking care of her family.  I only did fruit this year.  Marshall says if the world comes to an end we will at least have meat and fruit to survive on.  :)

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of jars! Good job! You will have to do some carrots or tomatoes next. They aren't hard. You can borrow my pressure cooker next summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are amazing! I did some canning, but it was with my mom and sister, so I'm very impressed that you did it all by yourself! And you did quite a bit too! It's a lot of work, but very rewarding!

    ReplyDelete